Childnet International and the Phone-paid Services Authority (PSA) have worked together to create a lesson called Being Smart with Your Smartphone, this resource is designed for teachers to use with 8-11 year olds. The lesson highlights that it is possible to spend real money through your smartphone and gives key strategies to avoid any mishaps.
The resources are split into 3 parts;
- The Teacher Pack contain detailed lesson plan and extension activities. The lesson looks at the different ways that young people can spend money through their phones (such as in-app purchases or voting on a TV talent show) and gives them practical strategies to help them recognise them and know what to do.
- The PowerPoint presentation features examples to highlight in-app purchases and explore tricky terms and conditions.
- The Student Pack includes worksheets and additional information for pupils.
For further help and information on this topic:
- Childnet’s hot topic on premium rate content
- Information on how to restrict in-app purchases
- Information from Phone Paid Services Authority regarding checking numbers