On the 9th February 2016, millions across the UK and globally will be celebrating Safer Internet Day. Coordinated in the UK by the UK Safer Internet Centre, the day is a great opportunity to talk to young people about the safe and positive use of technology.
This year’s theme is ‘Play your part for a better internet!’ and provides an opportunity for schools to make the most of the positive opportunities offered online, whilst giving young people the resilience, skills, knowledge and support they need to navigate any online risks they may come across.
Join the Twitter Q&A for schools
To help schools plan their Safer Internet Day activities, the UK Safer Internet Centre is running two Safer Internet Day Twitter Q&As!
The Q&As will provide teachers with more details about the theme, what will be available for schools, and ideas to help schools plan their Safer Internet Day activities.
- Dates: Tuesday 24th November 2015 and / or Tuesday 12th January 2016
- Time: 4:30pm – 5:30pm
- What to do: Tweet @UK_SIC with your questions and include the hashtag #SID2016
Looking for inspiration…
The UK Safer Internet Centre has put together a helpful information page for schools with ideas and inspiration for getting involved in Safer Internet Day.
- Focus on e-safety in assemblies, lessons or form timeusing the resources in the Safer Internet Day education packs (coming soon!)
- Run a competition in school
- Get creative!Why not encourage pupils to produce an app, game or video?
- Encourage young people to take the lead by educating their peers or running a campaign in school
- Reach out to parents and carers using the Safer Internet Day parent pack (coming soon!)
- Help spread the word by promoting the day on social media, through your website or newsletter, or by contacting local press to let them know what you are doing for the day
Don’t forget to join the Safer Internet Day Supporters list to receive your supporter certificate and join hundreds of schools from across the UK in sharing what you are doing to support the day.