I’m attempting to document some Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) around e-Safety topics to help schools and other settings. This is to build on our document “Safer Practice with Technology” which started life as a selection of similar questions and has recieved very postive feedback from schools, agencies and other settings, both within Kent and beyond.
The list of FAQs so far is as follows:
- What upcoming online trends does my school need to be aware of?
- Where should e-Safety sit in the school curriculum?
- Who should have the lead responsibility for e-Safety in a school?
- Who needs to have e-Safety training in the school?
- Can I use my mobile phone or my own device at school?
- Does my school need to think about Data Protection and Security?
- Can I ban my staff from using Facebook/twitter etc?
- How can I help my staff keep safe online?
- What should our school e-Safety policy and AUP (Acceptable Use Policy) cover?
- At what age should we start talking to children about e-Safety?
- What Search Engine/tools should I use in class?
- Children in my primary school class are using Facebook, what should I do?
- How do I talk to children about an online concern without encouraging them?
- Should schools use social media to communicate with students or parents?
- What can we do about children playing inappropriate games etc outside of school?
- If cyberbullying is happening outside of school, surely it’s not the schools problem is it?
- A parent has written nasty comments about the school on Facebook, how can I get it removed?
- How do I report criminal content I find online?
- What resources can I use to discuss cyberbullying with my pupils?
- How do I talk to pupils about password safety?
- What is the role for governors in e-Safety and safeguarding?
How can include pupils in e-Safety policy, in order to make it more effective?
- How do I get parents to attend an e-Safety session/workshop?
- How can I get parents to engage with e-Safety?
- How can I help parents make informed choices about devices for their children
- What resources are available to use with pupils with Special Education Needs?
- What resources are available for older students?
Many thanks to very some kind people on twitter for making some suggestions to be included.
List updated: 18.4.12
I’ll be seeking to provide some guidance as well as any useful links and resources to support schools and settings when dealing with the most common e-Safety questions and queries.
In the meantime, if you have a question which you’d like to submit or have some useful resources which you think might be helpful to share, then please post or comment below or contact the e-Safety Officer via email or on twitter